Amazon

Sunday, August 30, 2020

2020 Season Primer

 

Usually by this time each year I have already sent out my annual “welcome back DFT Nation” blog post with a flavor of optimism. However, with the uncertainty facing the season, and more so our country, I have been lacking proper motivation to begin this ritual. Rona, the burning of our cities, hurricanes, fires, murder hornets … I think I hear the first four trumpets of the revelation. However, this  blog has never been about politics and has been a place where all of us can escape our differences and focus on college football and tailgating. This year, I promise it will remain as such, unlike ESPN which insists on being a voice for political discourse. This makes it hard for many of us to truly enjoy the game we love.

I originally had a lineup of 12 road games, including a trip to Ireland for Notre Dame v. Navy and a few local games for a total of 15 games. I was also looking forward to watching our local high school football team play and my daughter cheer them on for her senior year. Well, that isn’t happening in Cali this fall . So, I am faced with a very skinnied down DFT lineup this fall. Two Power Five conferences (Big Ten & PAC 12) and two Group of Five Conferences (Mountain West and the MAC) have all canceled their seasons. We are also uncertain of how many fans can attend the games of the schools who, at this point, have decided to play. More importantly, tailgating may be off the table at many schools. Here is a link with the latest information on this subject.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/08/27/college-football-attendance-and-tailgating-plans-during-covid/3429660001/

Where does all this leave me? In addition to a plethora of backyard tailgates for some marquis games, I am planning on finishing off the SEC and the Big 12 this year with games at Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State. Additionally, North Dakota State is hosting Central Arkansas on 10/3, and I plan to attend and tailgate. If the country is still in tact in December, I will make my pilgrimage back to the city of brotherly love for the pageantry of the Army Navy game. I will post my schedule when things firm up but for now, it is very fluid.

Off-Season Ginger – goes to my brother Chuck who we lost in May after a courageous battle with pancreatic cancer. Chuck was a Marine combat veteran and an avid Notre Dame fan. He was one of the first followers of this blog 13 seasons ago and always encouraged my writing about the sport we both loved. Your fight and ability to stay positive was an inspiration to all who knew you. We will win one for the Gipper this fall in your honor big bro and hoist one up at a tailgate. Simply put, you showed us how to ride tall in the saddle this past year and face whatever was thrown at you. 

The Donnelly Six with Chuck on the far right
                          The Donnelly Six with our big Leprechaun Chuck on the far right.
  

Off-Season Bieber - Rona. You screwed up college football for all of us, you invisible virus! No other words needed here.

Next Week – We will be watching games and barbecuing in my backyard on Saturday evening. The first FCS game was played last night, and the first FBS game will be this Thursday night.

Happy Tailgating!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment