Amazon

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Week 8 - Me, Myself and I


A party for one

When one goes into self-imposed solitary confinement for a mid-season sabbatical, he must find ways to stay entertained and sane. With my first weekend off from attending a live game this season, I was looking forward to a day of couch potatoitis and recharging the batteries. I isolated myself from all humanity and liquids that are calibrated by their intoxicating contents. I lived vicariously through my friends and family who were attending games across the country and I watched multiple games all weekend on the tele. So, enjoy the brief write up and the many pictures that were sent to me.

Around the country – All teams that I have a rooting interest for swept the weekend. I can’t remember a time when this has happened before. For starters the mighty Monte Vista JV Mustangs defeated the power house De La Salle Spartans for the first time in 20 + years I am told. That violent sport of Cheerleading had my youngest sit this one out, as she is under concussion protocol. I hear Will Smith will be doing a movie on it soon. Marshall University (the school all three of my brothers attended at one point), won on Friday night against Middle Tennessee in a Conference USA showdown. Army (my branch of service) won in a thrilling victory over Temple on the banks of the Hudson. Mrs. Tailgate’s Oklahoma State Cowboys took down the Longhorns in OT deep in the heart of Texas. Next up the Oklahoma Sooners (my middle spawn’s school) slipped out of Manhattan, KS with a win. Baker Magic Mayfield did it again throwing for over 400 yards. My Alma Mater Frostburg State won their homecoming game 62-3 and improved to 6-1 and are still a top 20 Division III team. I received multiple facetime calls from classmates exchanging pleasantries with me for not being there. The Columbia Lions (my Dad played there way back in the day) moved to 6-0 by beating Dartmouth and now own sole possession of first place in the Ivy League. The Fighting Irish (my birthright team) annihilated the birth control vessels from USC at night in South Bend. Lastly, my eldest’s alma mater Boise State won on the cold wet blue over Josh Allen and the Wyoming Cowboys.

Frostburg friends enjoying the Homecoming Tailgate

Now enough about my spoils and other games of note. Miami remains unbeaten with another close win over Syracuse. Watch out for Scott Frost and the UCF Golden Knights as they remain perfect after a hard-fought battle with Navy in Annapolis. Butch Jones is one step closer to the unemployment line as the wheels have fallen off the Vols bus as they were humiliated in Tuscaloosa again. In the ABC game of the week in Happy Valley, PA, the Nittany Lions dominated the fighting Harbaughs in a blow-out win. The Tailgate had briefly planned on going to that game last week but had to bail for grown up things. If anyone saw the Cal game, you are probably asking the same question we all are, why did they go for 2 in the second overtime when they didn’t need to? Well they lost to Arizona because of that miscalculation. And how about those Nerdwestrn Wildcats getting a win at home over Iowa? Okay North Carolina is irrelevant, but I must mention that Virginia Tech destroyed them by a margin of 52 points which is the largest in an ACC matchup.
 
Sis and the Eagle Tailgaters pre-gaming in Charlottesville,VA

The Carluccis in Miami, Josts in Austin and Elf and crew in Naptown

The Bridgham- Bostics and friends in Happy Valley

Bieber – With my constant calling out of Bierberlicious acts the past few years, we seem to be having an effect on eligible candidates keeping themselves in check. However, the world will never be eradicated of Bieber 100% and there will still be periodic outbreaks. This week’s honors go to Rashaan Gaulden of the sinking Tennessee Vols. With Alabama winning 28 – 0 in the second half, Tide QB Jalen Hurts threw a 97-yard pick six to one of Gaulden’s teammates. Gaulden in his excitement followed his conquering teammate into the end zone and let all the Bama fans know who was number one. In fact, he showed them using sign language gestures with both hands. Very talented this kid. Not sure Gaulden is a math major because the scoreboard clearly said 28-7 = 21. By the end of the game 28 became 45 and 7 never changed. Young Mister Gaulden may have left Tuscaloosa with a loss, but he has his kodak moment for the ages and his Bieber hardware to cherish forever.

Next week – The Danville crew invades Seattle for a weekend of UW college football and “Sailgating “on Lake Washington outside of Husky Stadium. I will take my dramamine so I don’t feed the fish too often.

Happy Tailgating!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment